From the Press Box

UNC baseball sweeps doubleheader against Boston College

The Tar Heels played two, and they won two.

North Carolina baseball (21-1, 7-1 ACC) beat Boston College (3-17, 0-8 ACC) 5-2 on Saturday afternoon at Boshamer Stadium to complete a sweep of its doubleheader against the reeling Eagles. The No. 1 Tar Heels beat Boston College, which has now lost 10 straight games, 11-0 earlier in the day.

Benton Moss, who struggled with his command at times, fought his way through seven tough innings to get the win. Moss allowed two runs on five hits, walked two and struck out six, improving to 6-0 on the season. Chris McCue worked the last two innings for a six-out save.

Moss got himself into trouble early on. He allowed a run before recording an out and couldn’t seem to find the strike zone, walking Logan Hoggarth on pitches that weren’t close.

That prompted early visits to the mound from catcher Korey Dunbar and pitching coach Scott Forbes, after which Moss buckled down, ending the inning with two called strikeouts and a groundout.

Skye Bolt had two RBI singles and Colin Moran lined a 400-foot RBI double off the center-field fence to pace the Tar Heels offensively. Bolt had multiple hits in both of Saturday’s games, going two-for-four in each.

UNC also pushed across one of its runs on a Mike Zolk suicide squeeze — its second successful suicide squeeze of the day. Matt Roberts bunted in two runs in the first game of the doubleheader when the Boston College first baseman booted the ball.

The series was moved from Boston to Chapel Hill because of bad weather conditions in the Northeast, so Boston College played as the home team even though the games were at UNC. The teams will finish the series tomorrow at 1 p.m.