From the Press Box

U.S. national team's Jozy Altidore honors late UNC men's soccer player Kirk Urso

U.S. men’s national team striker Jozy Altidore honored former North Carolina men’s soccer captain Kirk Urso last Friday night in a World Cup qualifier against Jamaica.

Altidore wore a pair of cleats that featured an Urso quote, “I am strong. I can overcome,” and both players initials and jersey numbers — “JA17” and “KU15.”

Urso wore No. 3 as captain of the 2011 national champion Tar Heels, switching to No. 15 when he was selected by the Columbus Crew with the tenth pick of the 2012 MLS Supplemental Draft.

Urso died Aug. 5, 2012, at the age of 22 of a congenital heart defect. Proceeds from a raffle of Altidore’s cleats benefited the Crew Soccer Foundation’s Kirk Urso Memorial Fund, which supports youth heart health research and programming, and the Jozy Altidore foundation.

Just as Urso did 15 times during his career at UNC, Altidore found the back of the net — a goal that came in the 80th minute sealed a 2-0 U.S. win.

Kirk’s parents, Mike and Sandy, and brother, Kyle, watched the game at a hotel with the Tar Heels, who visited Boston College this weekend, knowing that one of the top U.S. players was honoring Kirk with every step.

“That was a special moment for us,” coach Carlos Somoano said. “He’s still remembered in our program and always will be.”

Altidore played with Urso at the U.S. Soccer Residency Program in Bradenton, Fla., and the two were U.S. U-17 teammates. Altidore posted a picture of the cleats on Twitter Friday night, adding “Kirk Urso you are loved and missed by so many! Honored I got to play in these boots tonight.”

Altidore had originally intended to wear the cleats in a World Cup qualifier against Mexico that was held in Columbus, Ohio, Sept. 10, but he was suspended for the game due to an accumulation of yellow cards.

Redshirt senior Josh Rice said that Urso has served as a role model for the men’s soccer program.

“He’s a big symbol of what we all strive and look up to for his leadership on and off the field,” Rice said. “His parents were at the game (against Boston College). They’re part of our family. It was really special for his parents to be there. I think that he’s with us. Definitely last night, and definitely on those two goals we scored (in UNC’s 2-1 win).”