From the Press Box

Women's basketball dominates in season opener

The freshmen of the North Carolina women’s basketball team dominated in the team’s 87-26 season-opening win against Air Force.

Freshman forward Stephanie Mavunga recorded her first official double-double of the season — second including her effort in an exhibition game against Carson-Newman — with 16 points and 13 rebounds. Freshman guard Diamond DeShields also recorded 16 points.

DeShields limped off the court two minutes into the game after tweaking her ankle. She returned with 14:15 left on the clock and said the incident was nothing major.

“I just needed a second to just calm down and just walk it off a little bit,” DeShields said. “When I came back in, I would not allow it to let me it affect my performance.

“We needed the momentum. I knew my energy was going to carry down to the rest of the team and that’s exactly what happened.”

The Tar Heels held the Falcons to just nine points in the first half. Coach Andrew Calder said Air Force was a well-coached team that was just overpowered by the Tar Heels.

“We were just bigger, stronger and more talented than they were,” Calder said.

One of North Carolina’s strongest players, sophomore Xylina McDaniel was notably absent from the beginning of the second half. The starting forward was awarded her fourth personal foul 39 seconds into the second period.

Calder said he used the game to prepare McDaniel for foul situations in higher profile games later this season.

“This was a perfect opportunity for her to learn,” he said. “When she picked up her second one in the first half, I said then ‘No, you’re staying. You’re going to learn to play with two fouls in the first half.’ Players have to learn to play with two fouls in the first half. You have to be able to not pick up that next one, especially cheap fouls. I almost wanted to leave her in with the fourth so she’ll learn to play when she’s in foul trouble.”

UNC also had trouble beyond the arc, hitting just two of 16 three-point attempts. Calder said he wasn’t concerned for the team and thought it had a chance at reaching its potential.

“I just want them to be the best they can be,” he said. “In the end, it’ll all work out, but they have a chance to be really good. They have a chance to be really good.”