From the Press Box

Six Tar Heels named Inside Lacrosse preseason All-America

The North Carolina men’s lacrosse team will play the 2014 season without one of the most prolific offensive threats to don Carolina blue after Marcus Holman’s May graduation.

But that doesn’t mean the team will have lowered expectations coming into the spring.

Inside Lacrosse made that very clear when the publication ranked the team as the third best in the nation in its preseason poll and named six Tar Heels Face-Off Yearbook All-Americans.

Canadian National Team midfielder Chad Tutton led the gang of Tar Heels earning first-team honors after he face-dodged and bounce-shot his way to 28 goals in 2013.

Fellow juniors Joey Sankey and Jimmy Bitter earned second-team and honorable mention honors. The attacking duo produced close to identical numbers, each doling out 20 assists and scoring more than 30 goals while playing alongside Holman, a Tewaaraton finalist.

Newly named captain senior Ryan Creighton was listed as a third-team All-American. This season, with the help of co-captains Cam Wood and Greg McBride, he will look to add the leadership lost with the departure of Holman.

But upperclassmen weren’t the only ones raved about by Inside Lacrosse.

Two rising sophomores, defenseman Evan Connell and goalie Kieran Burke, were listed as honorable mentions along with Bitter.