From the Press Box

UNC's Russell Bodine declares for NFL draft

North Carolina junior offensive lineman Russell Bodine has declared for the 2014 NFL Draft, UNC announced Monday.

Bodine was a two-year starter for the Tar Heels, playing primarily at center with stints at left guard. He was UNC’s starting center in its Belk Bowl championship against Cincinnati.

“It’s been a dream of mine to play in the NFL and I feel I’m ready to take the next step in my playing career,” Bodine said in a statement. “I have been thinking about this for several weeks, weighing all my options and discussing it with my parents and the coaching staff. I feel it is the right time to move forward.

“I want to thank the coaching staff at North Carolina for helping me become a better player and person. I’ve had the opportunity to play in both a pro-style offense and a spread offense and I think that will enhance my opportunities at the next level.”

The Scottsville, Va., native was an honorable mention All-ACC selection and averaged 73 snaps per game this season. He’s ranked as the No. 2 non-senior center by ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper.

“We wish Russell the best as he takes the next step in athletic career,” coach Larry Fedora said in a statement. “He has been a good player for us over the last two years, starting every game on the offensive line, and has a bright future ahead of him.”