From the Press Box

UNC baseball clinches series with second win against North Florida

The second win in No. 17 North Carolina’s weekend series against North Florida played out much like the first — pitching and a big hit from sophomore catcher Korey Dunbar led UNC to a 5-1 win.

Starter Benton Moss tossed his first career complete game, pitching eight scoreless innings after allowing a run in the first frame.

The win, which was the fourth straight for the Tar Heels (6-3) was coach Mike Fox’s 700th as UNC’s head coach. He also won 539 games with North Carolina Wesleyan earlier in his career.

“I’ve never wanted this to be about me. Today’s about Benton Moss and Korey Dunbar and just about another win for our team,” Fox said. “I appreciate it, but I’ve been surrounded by a lot of really good people — great assistant coaches, great players — I’m glad we’re at that number.

“That means the program’s been doing well and winning some games.”

Moss, who moved to 1-1 on the season with the win, pitched himself out of trouble throughout the game, stranding six runners including several in scoring position. He allowed one earned run on six hits, struck out four and walked none.

The Tar Heels trailed 1-0 into the bottom of the sixth, when they loaded the bases with two outs for Dunbar.

Dunbar worked the count full and connected on a 3-2 fastball, sending it off the scoreboard in left-center field to give UNC a 4-1 lead. The home run was Dunbar’s second in two days and followed up his go-ahead two-run homer in Friday’s 3-0 win.

UNC tacked on an insurance run in the seventh, when second baseman Wood Myers hit a sacrifice fly, scoring Michael Massardo.

Myers, Dunbar and right fielder Tyler Ramirez each had two hits.

UNC closes out its series against North Florida (4-5) Sunday at 1 p.m. Freshman Zac Gallen (0-1, 1.35 ERA) will be on the mound for the Tar Heels.