From the Press Box

UNC women's basketball leads South Carolina at the half

STANFORD — At the half, the No. 4 seeded North Carolina women's basketball team leads top-seeded South Carolina by eight, 29-21, in the second installment of the Stanford Regional matchups.

Stanford defeated Penn State 82-57 in the first game of the Sweet 16 regional and will head to the Elite Eight to take on the winner of North Carolina and South Carolina Tuesday.

DeShields, despite exiting the court with an ankle injury just two and half minutes into the game, and then another injury about 10 minutes later, leads all scorers with 12 points. Asia Dozier is the next highest scorer with seven points for the Gamecocks.

The Tar Heels got off to a quick 5-0 run as Allisha Gray knocked down a baseline 3-pointer and Mavunga kissed a layup off the glass in transition.

The last time the two teams met was in December and UNC came away with an eight-point victory.

At the pregame press conference Saturday, South Carolina and SEC coach of the year Dawn Staley said that her team planned to utilize its post players much more than it did three months ago.

But the Tar Heels have out-rebounded the Gamecocks 18 to 15, with SEC freshman of the year Alaina Coates and North Carolina sophomore Xylina McDaniel leading both teams with six each.

The Tar Heels are shooting 42.9 percent from the field, while the Gamecocks are shooting 33.3 percent.