From the Press Box

Diamond DeShields to leave North Carolina

After leading her team to the Elite 8 of the NCAA Tournament and winning ACC Rookie of the Year honors North Carolina guard Diamond DeShields has decided to transfer.

DeShields was named espnW’s national freshman of the year and led the Tar Heels averaging 18 points per game and 5.4 rebounds. The squad finished 27-10 on the season.

With 648 points, DeShields set the record for the most number of points by an ACC freshman in a single season. The next highest scorer on UNC’s team was Allisha Gray, who registered 501.

DeShields also set ACC freshman records for fields goals made with 248, field goals attempted with 582 and double-digit scoring performances with 32.

In a statement Thursday, coach Sylvia Hatchell, who was sidelined for the season with leukemia, said she the news came as a shock.

"I do not know or understand why Diamond DeShields has decided to leave The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill,” Hatchell said.

“As most everyone knows, I was out and missed the entire season with leukemia. Thankfully, I’m in complete remission and will be back 100 percent for next season. It breaks my heart that I will not have the opportunity to coach Diamond and help develop her on and off the court. I love her and wish her well."

The Daily Tar Heel does not know at this point where DeShields has elected to transfer but will update the site as more information becomes available.