From the Press Box

UNC football coaches accept Ice Bucket Challenge

As the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge sweeps the nation — going viral on social media and creating more money than ever before for the ALS Association — several notable North Carolina coaches have gotten involved. 

Basketball coach Roy Williams accepted the challenge while in the Bahamas and promptly challenged his entire team, as well as football coach Larry Fedora to take the plunge on August 30, the same day UNC opens its football season against Liberty. 

But, Fedora and his coaching staff couldn't wait that long as they had more than 20 others give the challenge as well:

After he was soaked, Fedora challenged all of the 27 former Tar Heels who are currently in the NFL.

ALS stands for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, but is popularly referred to as Lou Gehrig's disease. According to the ALS Association, the disease is a "progressive neurodegenerative disease that affects nerve cells in the brain and the spinal cord." 

A release on the ALS Association's website Tuesday reported that Ice Bucket Challenge donations have reached $22.9 million. That number is up from the $1.9 million generated in the same time period — July 29 to August 19 — last year. 

To donate to the ALS Association click here.