From the Press Box

Tracking the Tar Heels, Apr. 20

Welcome to a happening Monday edition of Tracking the Tar Heels.

Let's see what the Tar Heels have been up to:

• Sarah Headley describes how the women's lacrosse team avenged last year's overtime loss by beating Duke 12-6 in Durham on Friday.
  • The Tar Heels were aided by the trickery of Sammy Jo Tracy, whose third goal of the night came on a trick play to overcome the Blue Devils, writes Ben Coley.
  • On the men's side, it was last-minute chaos that downed UNC 15-14 at the hands of Notre Dame, Mohammed Hedadji describes.
  • Kayleigh Payne explains how the women's tennis team made history by capping off an undefeated season with a 5-2 win over Boston College on Friday.
  • For the men's team, it was business as usual after the Tar Heels' fifth win in six matches, this time a 4-3 victory against Georgia Tech on Sunday, notes David Adler.
  • Jeremy Vernon illustrates how starting pitching struggles doomed the Tar Heels in their series split with Virginia Tech over the weekend.
  • The softball team rode the hot-hitting of "Downtown" Kristen Brown to claim a 2-1 series victory against rival N.C. State over the weekend, details Logan Ulrich.
  • But it was more than just Brown, C Jackson Cowart explains, as senior Jenna Kelly sealed the deal with two timely home runs on Saturday to turn the series.
  • Senior Writer Danielle Herman describes how 15 Tar Heels set records for the track and field team over the weekend, led by strong performances in the 1,500-meter race.
  • The women's golf team channeled an adverse regular season into a third-place finish in the ACC Championships over the weekend,writes Chandler Carpenter.
  • The rowing team overcame an adverse start to finish strong in familiar waters Sunday, adds Hedadji.
  • Sports Editor Grace Raynor reflects on her time at the Daily Tar Heel and encourages others to share in her experience.