From the Press Box

UNC women's golf challenges San Diego State in YouTube contest

The North Carolina women’s Golf team never backs down from a challenge, whether on the course or on YouTube. 

Yes, YouTube.

After seeing San Diego State’s women’s golf team receive over one million views and counting on their YouTube trick-shot video, The Tar Heels fired back with a  friendly-competition video of their own, showcasing their juggling abilities.

It’s not the juggling that most people are used to though, their juggling consists of their favorite wedge and a golf ball.

“We can do those tricks in our sleep,” sophomore Leslie Cloots said in regards to San Diego State’s video.

The Tar Heels’ minute-and-a-half video showcases a myriad of juggling routines, most notably between the legs moves, on some of the most iconic spots on campus.

They took their skills and equipment to The Pit, the Old Well, and the steps of the Wilson Library.

“People were actually watching us,” Cloots said, “It was a lot of fun.”

UNC’s video also included a few trick shots including a sand shot from a volleyball court on campus and an impressive tee-shot off of a Gatorade bottle.

This video wasn’t just about showing off their juggling talents and trick shots, but also an awareness campaign for students at UNC to become more interested and involved with the golf program.

“Most people find golf boring,” Cloots said, “But we want to change that a bit.”

Both junior Elizabeth Mallett and senior Maia Schechter were excited about the video because of how much golf at UNC has meant for them.

“Golf has taught me to be focused, disciplined, and to never give up,” Mallett said.

Schechter echoed, “One of the biggest reasons I love golf is because it is so challenging.”

With San Diego State’s daunting one million views, it will be a challenge that the team isn’t used to, to catch the Aztecs. To date, the Tar Heels have just over 1,700 views on their video. 

But their hope is that their fiery, competitive spirit will do more than just get them views on YouTube.

The Tar Heels are awaiting their placement in the NCAA Regionals where they will look to feed off of their impressive finish at the ACC Championship where they tied for 3rd.

Even though the team’s focus was on having fun by spreading their love for golf around campus, they ended the video in classic Tar Heel fashion.

Golf balls fly in the picture, peppering a target with Duke’s logo on it.

You can view the video at: www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA0LJzxQDJQ