From the Press Box

UNC leads Miami 31-0 at the half: Numbers to know

The North Carolina football team is continuing where it left off against Duke last Saturday, leading Miami 31-0 entering the half.

While we haven't seen as many explosive passing plays as we did last week, the Tar Heel ground game has been enough to gouge Miami's defense. Quarterback Marquise Williams in particular has looked dangerous running the ball, totaling 84 rushing yards and getting into the end zone twice.

His first score came with 2:40 left in the first quarter; a 10-yard rush to the right side of the end zone. Williams put up "The U" sign after his score, but I don't think too many Tar Heel fans will be upset with him:

Junior receiver Ryan Switzer increased North Carolina's lead to 31 near the end of the first half after returning his seventh career punt for a touchdown. With that return, Switzer is now just one score shy of the NCAA record for punt return touchdowns.

The UNC defense has looked aggressive and intense as well, if the zero on Miami's side of the scoreboard wasn't enough to tell. The Tar Heels have recoved both of Miami's fumbles, while Jeff Schoettmer had a big pick near the end of the second quarter. 

Numbers to know:

9: The number of penalties the Hurricanes committed in the first half. Those penalties went for 80 penalty yards in total, which is one of the big reasons Miami still isn't on the scoreboard.

5: The number of pass breakups the Tar Heels have registered so far. M.J. Stewart and Des Lawrence both have two apiece, while Dominquie Green has one of his own. Miami's passing attack was the weapon to watch out for in this game, and UNC has looked good defending the ball in the air thus far, despite a few big gains.

4: The number of times UNC has been in the red zone, and also the number of times UNC has converted in the red zone. After starting the game with back-to-back punts, the Tar Heel offense scored on five of its last six drives.

60: The number of yards Jeff Schoettmer ran with the ball after his interception of Kaaya during the second quarter.

@CarlosACollazo