In the Know

News Cheat Sheet for Aug. 22, 2012

In Toll of 2,000, New Portrait of Afghan War
It took nine years for American forces to reach their first 1,000 dead in the Afghan war. The second 1,000 came a little more than two years later, a testament to the intensity of fighting prompted by President Obama’s decision to send 33,000 additional troops to Afghanistan in 2010. To honor the lost lives, The New York Times launched a series showing the reach of war.
Read more.

The Horse Race: Still Waiting for the Ryan Bounce
A week and a half after Mitt Romney selected Paul Ryan as his running mate, it’s difficult to see any change the vice presidential candidate has brought to the race. The New Yorker’s John Cassidy looks at some of the most recent polling numbers and debates whether Ryan can get the Republican party fired up enough to take back the White House.
Read more.

CBO: If nothing changes, we’re in for another recession
Economic and budget projections released by the Congressional Budget Office today show that if nothing changes, the U.S. will enter another recession where real GDP declines by 0.5 percent and the unemployment rate rises to 9.1 percent in 2013. On the other hand, doing nothing could also solve the country’s economic woes in the medium term.
Read more.

LaRoque trial tentatively set for fall
Deadlines set out by a federal judge have established a tentative fall trial in the federal theft and money-laundering indictment of former state Rep. Stephen LaRoque.
Read more.