Medium

10 songs to combat aerophobia

If you don’t experience crippling anxiety as a result of aerophobia on your trip home, then this might not be the playlist for you. I listen to music (very loudly), mostly to mask the supposedly harmless but seemingly fatal beeps and clacks of any plane ride.

1. “I Think I Like It” by Fake Blood 

This is my take-off song. Actually, I press play as soon as the wheels tuck in under the plane. Ever since I realized that this song made me uncontrollably dancey, I decided that it was the perfect anti-anxiety anthem, naturally.

2. “Rescue, Mister” by TR/ST 

This song is a representation of me on a plane — panicked, but with little moments of relief intermixed.

3. “Ohh (Yeah)” by White Reaper 

Me on the plane: ‘Maybe if I get punk enough, I’ll be immortal.’

4. “Straight to Hell” by the Clash 

Again, trying to be angrily invincible. 

5. “Airs” by Hooray For Earth 

So this is a track from my favorite band’s second (and last, cry) album, which is a little duller than their earlier stuff. Pitchfork coincidentally called the album “aerodynamic,” and actually compared one song to a Boeing 747 (like, I guess?).

Hooray For Earth is kind of a mess, but it works for me. To seem them in the best light, check out anything they put out before 2014. Their sound is kind of harsh but also super optimistic — I need that when I’m 40,000 feet above stable ground.

6. “Fire Rides” by MØ 

I’m not sure how to rationalize this song being on my flying playlist, but it’s really heavy for me — it’s demanding. And the chorus parallels my internal wailing through turbulence quite well.

7. “Rhythm of the Night” by Corona 

I always have a rotating shitty 90s songs on my playlist. Rotating because, well, they’re at least vaguely shitty, and I can only love them for so long.

8. “Bicycle” by Memory Tapes 

A little more than halfway through, the previous structure of the song breaks down and opens up for a heavenly interlude. I love this song for that shift and for the lovely anticipation before it. Also, the guy mixed sounds from an actual bicycle pump for this track, so that’s cool too.

9. "Om du möter vary" and "Life / Universe” by Detektivbyrån 

These two are just beautiful, and I love them. Accordions, glockenspiels, etc. Reminds me of some kind of mystical carnival music.

Listen to the full playlist here

medium@dailytarheel.com