Medium

'The Good, The Bad, and I'm Ugly?' is an honest look at college

<p></p>

4 stars

For full disclosure, let it be known that I talk to Ryan Schocket on a mostly daily basis.

As the Assistant Arts & Entertainment Editor for The Daily Tar Heel, he helps me manage our writers, the desk and my life in general. The best way to describe him to a stranger is classic #college — the backwards baseball cap, the love of drinking games and idea that he’s going to make the most of his time here all contribute to this aesthetic. 

When I hired him at the end of spring semester, I didn’t know much about him except that he was very funny and loved to talk about celebrities.

Now, after reading his book, “The Good, The Bad, and I’m Ugly?”, I know so, so much more. The book describes his first two years in college at the University of Delaware, pulling important biographical details from his childhood to explain the relevance that his current experiences have on him.

For me, the measure of a good story is an honest one. For memoirs, this is even more true.

And “The Good, The Bad, and I’m Ugly?” does not hold back on the truth, that’s for sure.

From stories about his first would-be sexual experience thwarted by an unfortunate bowel movement to the time he almost fell out of a moving ride on the New Jersey boardwalk while hanging out with the cool kids of 7th grade, the book title really explains the content well — he truly does talk about both the good and the bad. Ryan’s not afraid of letting you in on the uncomfortable moments in his life, which is wonderful because he really does have some good stories to tell.

It’s the voice he tells them in, though, that makes the book so compelling. Equal parts self-deprecating and witty, he’s able to make fun of himself in a way that lets the reader in on the joke. It’s like listening to your friend tell you about that time they accidentally made a bad decision over a drink — it’s okay to laugh because it’s funny how this could only happen to them.

But what’s special about this book isn’t the voice, although undeniably funny — it’s the complete and total honesty about the isolation and, often times, depression felt in college.

For a lot of people, there is a loneliness felt in the first two years of college that is so strong, it’s almost palpable. For me, it kept me up until 4 a.m. nightly, wondering what was wrong with me and why couldn’t I have a regular college experience like everyone else.

It’s not seen in movies, it’s not talked about on campus tours and it’s certainly not something that’s referenced casually. It can, however, be seen in the dropout rates across the country and within the stories of friends of mine who have left school for the same reason.

In the same beat that he tells a story about recording Taylor Swift karaoke in his car, Ryan will mention this loneliness in a way that’s truthful and real. Even more than the funny stories, this is where the book really shines.

I love honesty in art because art is supposed to represent something larger than a single reflection. I think that Ryan is one of the best people to tell his story both singularly and as part of a larger trend — like I mentioned before, he is truly #college, and it shows in more ways than one. With humor and a gift of compelling storytelling, he is able to reflect the relevance of both beer pong and isolation to the college experience.

“The Good, The Bad, and I’m Ugly?” is more than just a funny memoir about drinking — it’s a way to feel included in an environment that can often make students feel the opposite. Since the beginning of this week, Bull's Head Bookshop has been selling the book, perhaps making this point all the more evident. 

Months after I’ve hired him, I now know more about Ryan other than his favorite celebrities, although I do know quite a bit about his obsession with Taylor Swift. I also think he’s happier at UNC, taking all of the advice he gives in his book to heart.

Ryan graduates next year, and it is my utmost hope that he writes a sequel about his final two years at UNC. With a voice like his, it would be a shame for his talent to go to waste.

@sarahvassello