Medium

Q&A with "Mob Wives" star Renee Graziano

<p></p>

"Mob Wives" star Renee Graziano is known for her big mouth, big personality and big heart. She's fearless in the face of confrontation and speaks her mind no matter what the circumstance. Now, The VH1 hit show is in its sixth season, "Mob Wives: Last Stand." Assistant Arts & Entertainment Editor Ryan Schocket talked to Renee about loyalty, drama, dating, addiction, depression and her favorite curse word. 

The Daily Tar Heel: How have you managed to stay out of the drama this season?

Renee Graziano: This season was different for me. There were other things going on in my personal life. There was more drama without me with me being in it. So it was best I kept out it. We figured out a way for me to take a different direction to show the audience that there is more to me than drama. I don’t always have to be the queen — I can lend out my crown every now and then.

DTH: After this season, what can fans expect?

RG: I’m going to take a little bit of a break from myself. There are projects I’m working on. Unfortunately, I can’t speak on them. I’m not going away any time soon!

DTH: Does anyone get loyalty like you do?

RG: Definitely Karen. Karen has a loyalty to me that is exceptional. I saw something in Carla that I didn’t know over the past seasons because she was extremely loyal to Drita in (seasons) one, two and three. Then, they had their falling out. Carla is another loyal one. My loyalty is a little different than the other girls’. I really put my heart and soul into a person. Loyalty is something that needs to be earned. It’s not something that should be given so easily.

DTH: Do you think Carla has gotten tougher this season?

RG: She’s always been tough, but we’ve never seen this side because she truly felt crossed by Drita. She has really been betrayed. We’ve seen Karen betrayed, me being betrayed by my ex-husband. But watching Carla this season and her feistiness this season is really enjoyable for me. I’m like, ‘Get it, girl!’ I’m very proud of her.

DTH: What is your definition of loyalty?

RG: Loyalty is love unconditional. Loyalty is when you start with a team, you finish with a team — whether you’re winning or losing. You just don’t switch sides.

DTH: What is the craziest Mob Wives moment?

RG: Vegas, the season I hated the most. I definitely wasn’t myself. I don’t think anyone expected me to put somebody in a chokehold. If people knew me, I’ve had like one — two, excuse me — physical altercations all of my life before the show. Since I’ve been on the show, I’ve had about 40.

DTH: Is Vegas hard for you to watch?

RG: I don’t watch it. I won't ever watch it. That is the most degrading, embarrassing, humiliating, lowest point for me, and I don’t ever care to look back at that.

DTH: How are you so fearless?

RG: I’m not as fearless as everybody thinks I am. I definitely do have fears. Sometimes it’s a facade because I have fear. I have a fear of being alone because I don’t date. I have a fear of being 46. And I wish, damn, everybody could get this right. It’s July, and I was born in '69. Every time I turn around my birthday’s April, and I’m 47. I’m fucking 46, damn it. I have a fear of being alone. I have a fear of ‘Where do I go from here?’ I rather show people a brave face. I’m human — of course, I have fears. If I could put on a cape, and didn’t have a fear, I’d be fucking awesome, man. And fly around! And not on a broom, neither!

DTH: But when it comes to confronting someone who hurt your family or friend?

RG: Oh hell no! If anybody fucks with my family, I don’t give a shit. You learn that the only way to protect the people who have stood by you is by being fearless.

DTH: What is your favorite curse word or phrase?

RG: Obviously, my favorite curse is fuck. It should be in the dictionary by now. It just sounds so much better like, “that fucking dress.” But when I got on a roll, like when I talk about my ex-husband, like “no-good, low-down, dirty motherfucker,” my mouth will just go. When I really don’t like somebody is when those words just come to together, and it sounds so colorful.

DTH: Who would you rather go to lunch with, Natalie Guercio or Brittany Fogarty?

RG: I’d rather go to lunch alone. I’d never sit with Natalie, out of respect with everything to do with Karen. It has nothing to do with me anymore. Natalie doesn’t affect me anymore. I truly could care less about Brittany or Natalie, so I could sit with either one of them, but out of respect for the girls, I would never sit with either one of them.

DTH: If you could give your season one self one piece of advice, what would it be?

RG: Don’t be so open and honest. Protect your heart. I allowed too much of myself out there. And I know it was helpful for other people, but I’m the one who suffered from the aftermath.

DTH: Why do you think "Mob Wives" is so successful?

RG: I definitely think the word “mob” has something to do with it. People are very interested in that lifestyle. People wanted to see a life they only seen movies about. Watching the mob bust, watching my ex-husband betray me that way, watching the realness of me in therapy — those things alone are in everyone’s house.

We’re human. I think people were tuning in to see someone’s life they can identify with. Everybody loves Angela because she was neutral, and all she wanted to do was drink and dance. And Karen had a struggle, and with Carla, it was the sexy little kitty cat.

And with me, it was because I was the most honest with depression, addiction, body issues, cheating husband — I really let everything out. For 20 years of my life, I've been sitting on that. A lot of it made me feel better. Addiction is something I’m going to battle. It’s a battle — I have good days, bad days, off days, on days. I think "Mob Wives" was a different type of series than other shows. I’m not knocking any shows, but we were women who were struggling. We’re a great hit. I don’t think we’re through.

@ryanschocket