Medium

Review: My immediate reactions after binge-watching 'Fuller House'

"Full House" has forever held a special place in my heart.

Much to my dad's chagrin, my sister and I fell in love with the show at some point when I was in middle school. Something about Uncle Jesse and his hair.

When "Fuller House" came out on Netflix, against all better judgment I decided to binge watch it. All 13 episodes proved to be an entertaining ride.

Spoiler alert: If you haven't seen any of "Fuller House" yet, I suggest not reading the rest of this article.

I did not realize that John Stamos (Uncle Jesse), Bob Saget (Danny Tanner), David Coulier (Joey Gladstone), or Lori Loughlin (Aunt Becky) were not going to be regulars on the show. Needless to say I was a bit letdown. Yet they all made guest appearances throughout the season much to the delight of the studio audience and myself. 

In the first couple of episodes, the parallels between "Fuller House" and the original were evident. The overlying plot is basically the same as the plot from "Full House," in that Stephanie and Kimmy Gibbler offer to live with newly widowed D.J. Tanner to help her take care of her three children.

Sound familiar?

As the show progresses through the season, it begins to stand on its own, and I personally found this more entertaining.

The highlight from me was when Maks and Val Chmerkovskiy showed up in third episode, and a wonderful joke was made that referenced Candace Cameron Bure's (D.J. Tanner) run on "Dancing with the Stars."

The show was filled with excellent jokes and references, including some zingers about Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen, who played youngest sister Michelle Tanner in the original, and who declined to appear in any fashion on "Fuller House."

There were reprisals of catchphrases such as "How rude!" from Stephanie and my personal favorite, Uncle Jesse's "Have mercy!" and many references to the '80s and '90s, including nods to New Kids on the Block and the Spice Girls. 

It took me awhile to get used to the four new children in the show, and if I'm being honest, I'm not completely sold on them, yet they helped "Fuller House" distance itself from the original, which was good.

It's hard to make a spinoff of a show that was beloved, but in order to make a spinoff, you have to deviate from the original in order to let the new show stand on its own. 

Overall, I immensely enjoyed the show. It made me laugh, it made me tear up, and it never failed to make me feel as if I were coming home.