Medium

Upcoming spring and summer 2016 movies

I’m a big fan of the senseless action movies that come around every summer. I mean, I saw “Transformers: Age of Extinction” three times. That’s dedication.

Here’s a look at what’s coming out this summer:

April 29: "The Family Fang" (Showing nationwide and on demand May 6)

If you haven’t read the book, I would highly recommend doing so. “The Family Fang” is the story of Buster and Annie, the children of two eccentric performance artists, who return to their childhood home as adults after their parents disappear. The story both hilarious and heartwarming, and director Jason Bateman is guaranteed to do a great job. If none of that interests you, just know that the movie opens up with Buster getting shot in the head with a potato.

May 6: "Captain America: Civil War"

Marvel has been leading the market in superhero movies for the last decade, and shows no signs of slowing down. In the newest Captain America movie, someone is finally calling out the Avengers for destroying so many buildings. Captain America, ever sensitive to authority figures, is understandably upset.

May 13: "High Rise"

Based on the book by J. G. Ballard, “High Rise” depicts the decay of a seemingly utopian society. Tom Hiddleston plays a resident in a luxurious high-rise apartment building. As power outages plague the building, the society inside descends into chaos.

May 27: "X-Men: Apocalypse"

Brian Singer has directed the last four X-Men movies and all of them have been incredible. In the newest installment, the X-Men must face off against the first mutant in history, Apocalypse.

June 3: "Me Before You"

If you like crying, this is the movie for you. “Me Before You” is about a caretaker who falls in love with her patient (who, of course, is dying). It’s sappy and tragic and everything you could want from a summer rom-com.

June 17: "Finding Dory"

If you thought your childhood was over, THINK AGAIN.

June 24: "Independence Day: Resurgence"

My parents showed me the original “Independence Day” when I was five which was both emotional scarring and incredibly formative. Lucky for the movie industry, the aliens from last time managed to send out a distress signal to (you guessed it) even more aliens, who have now come to destroy the Earth.

July 1: "The Purge: Election Year"

My favorite part about this movie is that it uses Donald Trump’s campaign slogan in its trailer. I’m not kidding.

July 17: "Ghostbusters"

Hear me out: Kate McKinnon. Hunting ghosts. With Melissa McCarthy. And Kristin Wiig. SNL is finally becoming the girl gang I always hoped it would be. Chris Hemsworth is there, too, but let’s tried to stay focused on the important things: Leslie Jones (frankly, this is the only important thing for me.)