Medium

Flashback Friday: 2007 Edition

In the words of Ferris Bueller, life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop to look around once in awhile, you could miss it. In the entertainment world, life moves even faster, and there’s no way to absorb everything en vogue. Here’s a look back at the music, movies, TV and celebrity shade you may have missed or just plain miss from this week in 2007.

In Pop Culture Shade

Comedian and actual fave Sarah Silverman hosted the MTV Movie Awards on June 1. Staying true to her brand, she caused controversy when she made fun of then-relevant and recently-charged Paris Hilton, who was in the audience, by suggesting the bars of her cell could be painted to look like penises if she needed to feel like prison was her home away from home. Hilton did not look amused.

In Movies

Good things come in threes — and so do bad things, as proven by the box office in June 2007. On June 1, the top movie was “Pirates of the Caribbean 3: At World’s End,” probably because the economy was starting its downturn, and we needed to be punished for our mistakes. Other gems include “Shrek the Third” and “Spiderman 3.

Don’t sleep on the hits, though. Shia Labeouf's “Disturbia” and zombie-thriller sequel “28 Weeks Later” also debuted nine years ago and are still worth watching.

In Music

Maroon 5 may have recently abandoned North Carolina due to HB2, but they certainly didn’t leave the Billboard Top 100 chart in 2007. For the last week in 2007, karaoke favorite “Makes Me Wonder” topped the chart. T-Pain’s “Buy U A Drank (Shawty Snappin’)” was ranked second, and Avril Lavigne’s “Girlfriend” came in third. Somehow, the other seven international versions of “Girlfriend” weren’t ranked consecutively. “Hey There Delilah” was ranked at 27, moving up from 37th; nine years ago, this was the week that you still liked this song.

In Television

Nine years ago, the CW was popping. Excellent shows “Gilmore Girls” and “Veronica Mars” were listed for June 1, and “Gossip Girl” – one of the most successful series about high schoolers played by 30-year olds — debuted in the fall.

In the reality TV world, “Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List” was still on Bravo and Ashton Kutcher was doing the best acting of his life on MTV’s “Punk’d.” 

@sarahvassello