On The Wire

Stewart and Colbert organize rallies

If you watch The Daily Show with Jon Stewart then you know that he and Stephen Colbert have decided to have dueling political rallies at the National Mall in Washington, D.C. on Oct. 30.

On The Daily Show, after showing clips of Lady Gaga and extremists that have been in the news, Stewart asked why we don’t hear from 70 to 80 percent of the moderate citizens.

His answer: “Well, most likely because you have s—- to do”.

Stewart claimed this rally was “The Rally to Restore Sanity”, where more moderate citizens can come and voice their opinions without the antics.

Making fun of politics on Comedy Central is typical, but throwing rallies in Washington to make fun of politics is a different and interesting scheme. So we asked UNC students what they thought about the rallies.

What you said:

Senior history and political science major Kelsey Miller said the rallies would not only make fun of politics for the sake of humor, but hopefully make citizens aware of the issues and possibly cause them to act.

President of the UNC Young Democrats Lee Storrow said he felt that the rallies would be good because Colbert and Stewart use humor very affectively to bring up important issues.

Storrow also said that Colbert and Stewart are very in tune with politics, and satire often has truth to it, so this will probably be apparent in their rallies.

Chairman of UNC College Republicans Anthony Dent said that comedy is great tool to use in politics to bring about awareness.

Carli Anne Gesiotto, a freshman history major said she thought it would be really funny.