On The Wire

Tea Party movement strengthens

Another Tea Party rally in Washington, D.C. Sunday, put the spotlight on hundreds of disgruntled citizens — again.
Because these rallies seem to be getting more popular every day, we interviewed experts to see exactly what the movement represents and how they’re going to influence the elections in November.
We also tried to look for Tea Party supporters on campus, but only found sympathizers.

It may or may not be your cup of tea, but what exactly is it?

Members of the Tea Party support exceptionally conservative principles, especially in terms of fiscal policies. Tea Party advocates oppose the stimulus package and are pushing to ensure conservative Republicans are elected in November.
“From a political science standpoint, activity and interest in the political process is a good thing,” said Thomas Carsey, political science professor at UNC.
Since several Republican Party incumbents have lost in the primaries to Tea Party candidates, it is apparent the party has already had an effect, Carsey said.
Sen. Robert F. Bennett, R-Utah, and Senator Lisa Murkowski, R-Alaska, both lost the Republican Party’s nominations this year.
“From a political science standpoint, activity and interest in the political process is a good thing,” Carsey said.

Is it a third party?

The Tea Party will need to influence the Republican Party if it is going to have any staying power after the November elections, Carsey said.
“It is difficult to forecast, but certainly true that our institutions favor two parties”.

What do you think about the movement?

“I think that the government spends too much money,” said freshman advertising major Lizzie Cox, saying she could relate to some parts of the movement’s agenda.
She said she comes from a factory town where a lot of people have been laid off.
The government should focus less on money and more on businesses and citizens, Cox said.

“The Tea Party is a little too radical for me,” said Gabe Sprinkle, a freshman from Charlotte.