On The Wire

Halloween lollipops recalled

Double, double, toil and trouble — enjoy your Halloween candy, but think twice before reaching for that questionable lollipop at the bottom of the bag.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration recalled Colombina Mega Pops last week after finding traces of metal in the candy. The lollipops are imported from Colombia.

With the candy-buying in full overdrive during the Halloween season, the recall on the lollipops might affect sales and consumer choices.

Some parents in the area are worried.

“It concerns me because I don’t want nobody else’s child to get sick,” said Toussant Powell, a parent in the Chapel Hill area.

Powell said he believes the FDA needs tighter controls.

“Recalls on spinach, tomatoes, eggs,” he said. “It’s ridiculous — they need to pay more attention to this stuff.

“I’m looking at it health-wise and the long term effects,” Powell said.

What you said:

UNC senior history major Kaitlin Pendley has concerns.

“I do buy candy more around Halloween and lollipops are my favorite,” Pendley said. “But I won’t be buying as much candy and it makes you wonder how the traces of metal got into the candy.”

UNC freshman Shea Pierson said she didn’t know about the recall, but is not too concerned.

“Everything comes with a potential risk, so you have to go off of what’s known,” she said.

UNC freshman music major Eddie Hackim agreed.

“I’ve heard of the whole razor blades in candy or apples or something,” he said. “There’s always room for terrible mistakes.”

“I think it may be a factory fix, like sanitation scores,” he said.

“Fix your factory.”