On The Wire

Hilliard, N.C. Senate candidate, concedes

Ryan Hilliard, Republican challenger for the N.C. Senate, gave a positive speech to the crowd gathered at the Big Barn Convention Center in Hillsborough as reported results indicate that incumbent Ellie Kinnaird will keep the 23rd District State Senate seat.

“The numbers haven’t turned out exactly as we would have wanted, but we showed the democrats and liberals that there is a large portion of people that are concerned about the economy and the constitution,” Hilliard said.

While the election result remained the same, the Republican Party in the district was more active in the elections.

“We did accomplish a lot,” said Greg Andrews, the Republican candidate for Orange County Commissioner. “We made voters come out in force and show that we are a considerable treat as a conservative force.”

Hilliard said that the conservative turnout in the district has been large and hopes to challenge in the 2012 elections.

“We need to keep the momentum and use it as a springboard down the road in the election in 2012 and 2014,” Hilliard said.

Rodney Turner, the vice chairman for the Republican Party of Orange County, said that even though the Republicans lost, they have built a solid base in the county.

“We know that this is just the beginning, now people will be encouraged to vote,” Turner said.