Pit Talk

Students escape rain, give blood in Student Union

Eighty people had appointments today to escape the rain soaked bricks of the Pit, taking shelter in the Student Union to contribute to campus life indoors.

The UNC Red Cross Club sponsored a blood drive for the American Red Cross in the Great Hall from noon to 5:30 p.m. Members of the Alpha Epsilon Delta pre-med fraternity assisted the Red Cross staff.

"We're here to help the actual medical people do their job," said Maggie Stafford, a member of the Alpha Epsilon Delta pre-med fraternity who volunteered at the blood drive."We're here to help the whole thing run smoothly."

Fran Hamer, a volunteer with the Orange County Red Cross, and Shriram Alapaty, a sophomore computer science major and member of the AED fraternity, assisted by signing students up for appointments.

"We have taken in 60 people right now, we probably have another 20 coming up," Hamer said, referring to the large volume of students that filled the appointment list. "This campus is covered with blood drives."

There will be eight more blood drives between now and Oct. 7 in locations such as Granville Towers, the Eshelman School of Pharmacy, and Ehringhaus and Hinton James residence halls. You can view the full list and sign-up online.