Pit Talk

Tensions continue between India and Pakistan

Despite peace talks between India and Pakistan at last weekend’s meeting of the U.N. General Assembly, the two countries have little to show for their efforts.

There has been substantial tension between India and Pakistan surrounding the Kashmir region of northern India since Britain dismantled its south-east Asian colonies in 1947. More recently, terrorist attacks from Al Qaida and the Taliban have deepened the animosity between the countries.

Although in the last few decades there has been a significant push for diplomacy, since 9-11 and the Mumbai attacks in November 2008, the relationship between the two countries has become further strained.

The Daily Tar Heel talked to Carl Ernst, professor of religious studies, about the tension between the two countries.

Ernst said that Pakistan is looking for some type of acknowledgement on the Kashmir issue while India is looking for a thorough investigation into the 2008 Mumbai attacks, putting the two countries in a stalemate.

“India, with a stronger economic and military hand, could give a gesture on the Kashmir Issue, and indicate recognition of the issues in Kashmir,” Ernst said. 

However, the Indian political right is unwilling to budge on the issue, while Pakistan is unwilling to give more substantial attention  to addressing religious fundamentalists in the country . 

“Every country has its own hard core crazies and India and Pakistan have both that are unwilling to compromise,” Ernst said.  

What you're saying:

“I really don’t know very much about the political climate in India and Pakistan, but based on international relations in general, I think diplomacy is the best answer.” - Melissa Parker, freshman, dramatic arts

“I haven’t been keeping up with it lately, but Hillary Clinton mentioned room for improvement, and Pakistan seems like an area of the world where they would benefit from working with other countries in the southeast Asia region.” -Ricky Hurtado, junior, business administration

“I feel in general that peace talks are beneficial. Any collaboration between two governments to find common ground is very valuable.” - Jacki Huntington, junior, journalism

“Obviously a colonial history is represented in the violent  coexistence between Pakistan and India. Talks are always useful, but it is easy for us in the West not affected or directly participating in  the conflict to promote a sense of urgency for the talks.” - Andrew Belton, graduate student, comparative literature