Pit Talk

Tips for keeping comic collections safe

One of the best things you can do to protect your stuff is to keep it covered with a thin plastic sheath.

When it comes to comic books, that is.

Preserving comic book collections was among the topics discussed Saturday by a panel of comic businessmen, collectors and academics.

The panel and exhibit took place next to the Sherlock Holmes section of the Wilson Library's Rare Book Collection Reading Room, which itself includes a few of the detective's cases in comic format.

About 50 issues from UNC's collection were on display, from The Amazing Spider-Man #122 (which features the death of Spider-Man's arch-nemesis Green Goblin) to The Beatles Experienc #2 (which chronicles the early years of the 60s pop band.e

UNC libraries' comic collection is made up of at least 5,000 individual issues, with more housed in other specific sections of the library or catalogued separately as graphic novels.

The panelists included Andrew Neal, owner of Chapel Hill Comics on Franklin Street, and Daniel Breen, the shop's former owner and a donor to UNC's collection.

Breen's donation makes up a large part of UNC's comics collection. He and University librarians said the materials will be valued as an additional perspective on the times and culture they reflect.

Both Neal and Breen said an important part of collecting is making sure you don't confuse the "S" on Superman's costume with a dollar sign, commenting on the speculative nature of the market.

Neal also noted how the Internet has devalued many collectibles.

"Part of supply and demand used to be regional scarcity. That doesn't work anymore," Neal said. "Everybody is a retailer now, if they take advantage of the opportunity in front of them."

Captain American has a shield, Iron Man has a suit of armor and Spider-Man has a spider-sense. Here are a few tools and techniques you can use to keep your comics collection safe.

-Keep comics in a stable environment, free from humidity and between 70 and 75 degrees Fahrenheit.

-Store comics individually inside mylar bags supported by a piece of acid-free cardboard.

-When handling comics, make sure your hands are clean and dry and there is no food or drink nearby.

-Check on your collection regularly for yellowing paper, mold or mildew. Remove smelly comics and set them out to air dry.

-Insure your collection. Comics are not covered under your homeowners policy and require a separate insurance rider.