Pit Talk

Student Congress Chronicle: Oct. 12

Student Congress revised the Student Code Tuesday night, changing the conflict of interest policy regarding student government’s executive branch.

Student Congress recommended Sept. 28 that Jagir Patel and Taylor Mercado appear before the ethics committee due to their involvement in the Honor Court.

As vice chairmen of executive branch committees, Patel and Mercado were “senior members,” and thereby prohibited from participating in the Honor Court.

Student Body President Hogan Medlin was present at the meeting to discuss the conflict of interest bill that sought to remove executive branch committee members from the definition of senior members in the student code.

Medlin and Honor Court committee chairman, Travis McElveen, both asserted that there was no conflict of interest when a vice chairman holds a position on Honor Court.

McElveen said FERPA holds members of the Honor Court to confidentiality. Medlin added that the position of vice chair is not a senior position, saying they do not participate in making senior decisions.

The bill was approved by Student Congress, ultimately relieving both Patel and Mercado from accusations of violating the Code, and allowing them to continue involvement in the Honor Court.

Other business included the confirmation of new member Tyler Tew and the election of Lee Storrow to the finance committee. Tyler Tew was nominated to the rules and judiciary committee to fill Storrow’s old position.

Student Congress also discussed the appropriations of funds to several student organizations.

Chapel Hill CHALKAA, a Bollywood fusion dance group, received $2,487.45 for performance costumes.

Tar Heel Voices, a coed a capella group received $388.50 for a fall concert in December.

The National Press Photographer Association received $1316.80 for a sports photography seminar that will bring Louis DeLuca, a photographer for the Dallas Cowboys, to campus.