Pit Talk

Thorp sends e-mail addressing crisis in Japan

Buy Photos

With news of a new explosion at one of Japan’s three damaged nuclear plants coming late Monday night, the world is waiting to see what will unfold and expressing sadness over the devastation already observed.

Chancellor Holden Thorp sent the following e-mail to students, staff and faculty Monday night with information on how the UNC community is helping with relief efforts:

Dear Carolina community,

When natural disasters strike — in North Carolina, the United States or around the world — our students, faculty and staff immediately ask, “What can we do to help?” We have all seen the tragic images of the devastating earthquake and tsunami that struck Japan last week. And as global citizens, I expect the Carolina family will stand ready, as always, to do what we can to make a difference.

We were thankful to learn that a handful of UNC students studying abroad in Japan are okay. They were south of the areas hardest hit and are currently not planning to leave. But it will be weeks before Japanese officials know the full extent of the human toll these disasters have taken. Our thoughts and prayers are with the Japanese people and everyone affected.

With students just returning from spring break, Carolina schools and organizations have begun to come together in response. The best source of information will be on the Carolina Center for Public Service website, our campus link for public service and engagement. The center will collect and share information about efforts across campus. You can send information by e-mailing cccps@unc.edu.

In addition, campus offices can provide resources and support for people who have been affected in some way by the earthquake and its aftermath. Students may contact the Dean of Students Office, 919-966-4042, as well as Counseling and Wellness Services, 919-966-3658. Faculty or staff may call the Employee Assistance Program, 919-929-2362, during business hours or 877-327-7658 24 hours a day.

We will post updated information about Carolina and the relief efforts in Japan, so please check back frequently to the public service center website.

Sincerely,

Holden Thorp