Pit Talk

Student reactions mixed on Lenoir renovations

The top priority for most college students remains the same: food. It’s typical to see a tumultuous crowd of students in the dining halls as they scramble to find valuable seats.

This semester, returning students might have been surprised to find their seats in Lenoir Dining Hall without the hassle they have experienced in years past.

Lenoir spent $5 million on renovating the space to improve the seating area in an attempt to reduce crowds. Two hundred new seats were added to the top level. Improvements also include a larger salad bar and Bistro servers.

“I really like the changes, I can’t complain because they spent all this money,” said sophomore Darbie McPhail.

Junior Anay Reddy agreed.

“I really think the arrangement is a lot better. Initially it was a little hard to find food, but now I know where it is.”

Because of its central location, Lenoir is the go-to place to meet up with friends for a meal and escape the stress of classes.

“I like the food here better than Ram’s Head; there’s more variety, and the people who work here are engaging,” said junior Ryan Bradley. “I have gotten to know them really well and I say hey to them outside of Lenoir.”

Sophomore Rachel Kaplan said she appreciates the new space but she thinks there are still improvements needed.

“I would have more than just a cookie basket; I would have the old cookie shrine.”

In addition to new seating, the dining services are incorporating more healthy, local and organic food options.

Although most students are happy with the changes, one comfort is sorely missed.

“The food here is definitely not as good as at home,” freshman Alexa Campbell said. “There’s something about your home and family cooking that makes it more special.”

So, hear that Mom? Sounds like it’s time to start sending more care packages.