Pit Talk

Surviving the bicycle woes

Ever ridden your bike on campus? It’s an awesome thing to do, and it’s a great way to exercise and get from place to place quickly. That is, of course, until you get where you’re going and can’t find a space on a bike rack.

Then you probably have to wind up attaching your bike to a tree, lamp post, or the side of the UL, or even worse, stashing it in the bathroom of whatever class building you’re in.

Try these simple rules of bike etiquette to make sure your bicycle experience on campus is as easy as possible.

1. While it’s probably fine in most places to attach a bike to a tree or chain-link fence, it’s also best to make sure beforehand you don’t attach it somewhere it’s not supposed to be or in an area that might disturb traffic. And definitely don’t store your bike in the bathroom or any other part of a building you’re attending class in. If it’s unsecured, chances are it could be gone before you get to class.

2. Always secure your bike with a bike lock. Most of these locks are extremely cheap, come in a variety of sizes and shapes, and can be easily purchased at several local retailers, many of whom offer discounts to students.

3. When you secure your bike, always secure it around the metal frame of the bike, and not around one of the wheels. It’s not at all uncommon to walk from bike rack to bike rack and see single wheels hanging by a lock with the rest of the bike long gone.

4. Can’t find a spot on the bike rack at your dorm? Try looking at alternative places nearby to store your bike. This is especially true for the high rises on South Campus, where it seems like there’s never a spot available. Try locking up your bike at one of the smaller dorms in front of the high rises (Hardin, Koury, Horton, Craige North, etc.). Usually, these racks aren’t full and are within easy walking distance of the other dorms.

5. Most importantly, always register your bike. A registered bike has a much better chance of being found if it is stolen.

For more information on UNC’s bicycle policy, see the Department of Public Safety’s website.