Pit Talk

Your body will thank you... later

<p>Photo courtesy of <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/42194914@N08/5972476316/">cnolan011 on Flickr Creative Commons</a>.</p>

“Your body will thank you… later.”

With a motto like that, it’s hard not to be intimidated by CrossFit, a workout designed originally for military special operation units, champion athletes and police academy training.

Focusing on exercises working every muscle in your body and performing them at high intensity levels, the 20 to 30 minute combined cardio and strength workouts are exhausting — but extremely gratifying.

As sweat pours down your face while you do your 99th squat or finish your last burpee, you think you might just die, but it’s all worth it. The increase in strength, stamina, and confidence is noticeable right away.

Although the fittest of UNC students do CrossFit, anyone can join in because the workouts can be scaled to any level.

“There has been a nine year old boy who came with his mom as well as faculty and staff members who are up to 65 years old. We have had UNC athletes as well as people who haven’t worked out in years. Everyone can get something from CrossFit because it can be scaled to your level,” said Juan Hernadez, co-president of UNC CrossFit.

It pushes you farther than you thought was possible, but you soon realize your body is capable of so much more. You will never be bored or hit those pesky plateaus because there is a different workout every day with different certified trainers leading them.

Best of all, it’s free, even for people not affiliated with the University.

CrossFit takes place in the Eddie Smith Field House Monday-Thursday at 8 and 8:30 p.m. and on Sundays at 5 p.m.