Pit Talk

UNC student rapper 'Ricky Mac' creates Tar Heel basketball music video

Ricky Mcmahon started rapping for fun his sophomore year of high school, but he didn’t make it into the recording studio until last September.

“I like making music because of the way it can move, inspire and motivate people — and also just because it’s fun,” he said.

A Chapel Hill native and lifetime UNC fan, Mcmahon recently decided to mix his love of UNC basketball and rap.

“I’ve always been a huge UNC fan, yet I still didn’t recall exactly the championships we’ve won and all the history of it,” he said. “I thought that other people like UNC freshmen coming from other places would be in the same boat, so I wanted to make a song that was entertaining but also highlighted the history of UNC basketball.”

Mcmahon uploaded his video “The Legacy (UNC Basketball 1910-2012)” to YouTube Feb. 3, and it has received more than 32,000 hits since.

Although he considers himself a “100 percent Tar Heel fan,” Mcmahon said he has a lot of respect for the Duke basketball program because his brother was a basketball manager there.

“I’m just glad that we have such a great rivalry with them and look forward to beating them tonight,” he said.