Pit Talk

A mug worth refilling

its a coffee cup from the pit stop y'all
Buy Photos its a coffee cup from the pit stop y'all

Resident caffeine addicts are not getting their money’s worth.

The sales of a promotion the Pit Stop launched about six weeks ago are disappointing — it has sold only 46 mugs and 202 refills in roughly six weeks.

The promotion works like this: with the purchase of a 16 oz. thermal mug for $8.99, every refill of coffee, tea, hot chocolate or cappuccino drink costs only $0.99.

Since it would take about nine refills to begin to enjoy the benefits of 99-cent coffee, when you do the math, those customers have only purchased an average of four refills of coffee — which doesn’t even make the promotion financially practical.

The promotion provides the customer with countless incentives to buy into this program.

Coffee at the Pit Stop is not only Starbucks free trade-certified, but also, with or without this promotion, it is considerably cheaper than any other option on campus — a 16 oz. coffee at Alpine Bagel Co. or The Daily Grind cost $1.89 and $2.06 respectively. A regular 16 oz. cup of coffee from the Pit Stop costs only $1.79.

The promotion is unique because it lowers cost for both the consumer and the producer. “It is a win-win situation for us and the student population,” said Ron Wood, manager of the Pit Stop. “We save about 35 cents per refill because of the cost of the sleeve, cup and top of a regular cup.”

In addition, the Pit Stop is the only coffee location on campus that is affiliated with Student Stores, so a portion of its profits goes to student scholarships.

Not to mention that the mug keeps coffee hot for twice as long, Wood said. I myself purchased a mug and found it exceeded my expectations, as it remained warm well into my 11 a.m. class as I trudged across campus in monsoon-like weather Tuesday morning.

Finally, it cuts out all waste! Cutting out the disposable coffee cup altogether helps the Pit Stop environmentally and financially, and if this promotion escalates, it could greatly change the way people consume their coffee.

So the eminent question remains — why are the sales so low?

One reason could be the lack of advertising, for the Pit Stop has only advertised this promotion via word of mouth.

“If I had known, I definitely would have worked that into my routine because most people that drink coffee do it every day, not just randomly,” sophomore Terri Frasca said.

Another reason could be the upkeep of the mug.

“I wouldn’t want to wash it! Or I might lose it right away,” freshman Sarah Bencuya said.

UNC students are always on the move, so another downside of the program could be fear of leaving the mug behind. “I would consider (the promotion), but probably wouldn’t buy into it for that very reason,” sophomore Alex Dunham said.

Wood remains optimistic for an increase in sales with the upcoming season change and simply giving the promotion more time. He believes that this program could become permanent.

“If it is accepted by the students and they embrace the program, we plan on this being a long-term promotion that we run,” Wood said.

The future of the Pit Sop thermal mug remains uncertain, but the Pit Stop’s latest endeavor is hopefully just off to a modest start.