Pit Talk

Norts and 'Duke Sucks': Student Stores Essentials

Game day shirts? Check. Running shorts? Check. Duke Sucks? Definitely a check. UNC Student Stores is the go-to stop for all UNC student needs.

With the second UNC home football game this Saturday, students need to gear up to show their support.

But what students said are their favorite items are not necessarily the most sold items at Student Stores.

It’s no surprise that UNC game day shirts are incredibly popular. In fact, they sell about 10,000 shirts each year.

As it happens, anything with “Carolina” printed on it sells well.

John Gorsuch, director of the Student Stores, attributes the popularity of Carolina merchandise to UNC’s long history and tradition.

“At UNC there’s a lot of school spirit, school tradition,” Gorsuch said. “Sports programs are significant. A lot of things come together to make the brand popular — not many schools have that.”

Students love to show their support with more than just T-shirts. Sophomore Karl Edinger said the blue wigs are one of his favorite items.

“I wore my blue wig to every game last year — I looked pretty good in it,” Edinger said. “You can wear it to parties. It’s also perfect for class presentations.”

Another incredibly popular item is the UNC Nike running shorts.

“Nike shorts are hotter than hot,” Gorsuch said.

And the students agree. Junior Alexandra Cruz owns four different pairs.

“They are just so comfortable, and I’m supporting the school at the same time. It’s a win-win” Cruz said.

Even though not everyone owns Nike shorts, popularly referred to as “norts,” they are loved by many.

Sophomore Russel VanZomeren said he appreciates the popularity of the shorts among college women.

“I do not own any Carolina running shorts, but that doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy the benefits they provide,” VanZomeren said. “The ladies look good in norts.”

Nike shorts are not enough to top the charts, though. Gorsuch said Cotton Exchange is the No. 1 vendor for the Student Stores. The brand sells more than two times as many items as Nike.

Student Stores not only helps you look good, it also carries essential books that help channel your true feelings towards Duke University.

Books such as Duke Sucks and To Hate Like this is to Be Happy Forever are necessities for every Carolina fan.

In reference to the latter, Gorsuch said, “We’ll call it a classic.”

Most importantly, all money spent at the stores is kept within the UNC system, used to fund student scholarships.

“It’s all for a good cause,” Gorsuch said.