Pit Talk

The Courage Project

Two UNC students want to reassure victims of sexual assault that they are not alone.

In an effort to promote discussion of a topic that they believe is not adequately addressed, junior Andrea Pino and senior Julia Da Silva pioneered a campaign called “The Courage Project” that will feature a gallery of photos and testimonials from victims of sexual assault.

It will be displayed at the Union Gallery Oct. 15-Nov. 15, during Relationship Violence Awareness Month.

“People don’t realize the extent to which this affects our community,” Pino said. “One in every four women and one in every six men are survivors of sexual assault.”

Pino and Da Silva said they felt the need for a support system for those who have been sexually assaulted or have a friend or family member who has been sexually assaulted.

Anyone is welcome to participate in spreading awareness, supporting the healing of victims, and sharing their stories.

“It’s really important to know that you’re not alone,” Pino said.

She said that people deal with sexual assault in different ways.

“There is no cookie-cutter victim,” Pino said.

“It is so emotional and inspiring to hear so many different stories and to be there for other survivors to express themselves. Every survivor has a different story to tell, but it’s nice to know that there is a group of people who are all going through the same thing.”

Participants in “The Courage Project” will submit their personal stories, and the project’s photographer will then take a photo for them to post with their testimonials in the gallery. These photos are meant to be an expression of power and healing.

As it is only the second year for the project, Pino and Da Silva were unsure of how successful the project was going to be, but they were quickly reassured when they opened the email for submissions and received more than 20 on just the first day.

Pino and Da Silva are very passionate about creating this campaign to show others that although the experience will never be erased, it does not have to haunt your life.

Da Silva said she wants to tell others that it is important to focus on healing and not let the awful tragedy take over their every thought.

“We want people to know that this does not define who you are,“Da Silva said.