Pit Talk

The top 10 places to study around campus

Whether you’re a man of habit or a woman of spontaneity, where you choose to write your papers or study for your exams is crucial to your success. It’s necessary to find productive places where you can get massive amounts of work done. Here’s my top ten places to study around campus.

10. Starbucks

Starbucks has a reputation for being where hipsters go to write screenplays. If you’re trying to write your final paper, however, this may not be the place for you. Not only are both Starbucks around campus (the one by Ram’s Head and the one on Franklin) always bustling, it’s almost impossible to get a seat to begin with. Starbucks definitely has an atmosphere to be reckoned with, but has too many negative qualities to be ranked high on this list.

9. Any dorm study room

I know, I know. Not a lot of upperclassmen live in dorms. But if you do, a study room can be the perfect place to go without traveling too far. They can be hard to obtain, but if you get one to yourself, it’s easy to get a lot of work done.

8. Wilson Library

Not many people (read: freshmen) know this, but you’re allowed to go inside that huge white building at the front of the quad. Though it closes early, Wilson Library is a serviceable place and a nice alternative to the typical buildings around campus.

7. Student and Academic Services Building (SASB)

These two buildings located on south campus might be a trek for some, but for most they are easily accessible and noiseless. With several comfortable couches and private tutors on duty every night, there is no reason not to at least check out SASB North and South.

6. The Undergraduate Library

The Undergraduate Library is one of the most accessible places to study on campus. Three floors, if you include the basement, an ITS center, and a convenient CCI printer make the UL a dependable and handy place to study. But good luck finding a place to sit during finals week. The UL is usually packed to the brim.

5. Davis Library

Why is Davis ahead of its main rival, the UL? Simply put, Davis has nine floors that you can’t compete with. If you’re lucky, you can also find a study room for you and your friends, which is nearly impossible in the UL. Both locations have a reasonable location in the pit, making them the classic places to study on campus.

4. Health Sciences Library

Located nearly adjacent to Kenan Stadium, the Health Sciences library is a relatively unknown place to study open to the public. Though most of its resources are tailored to students in the medical field, there is still ample space to read and study.

3. Peabody Hall

The teacher’s building has a great location near north campus and several open classrooms after 6:00 p.m. If you’re looking for a place to spread out and knock out a homework problem set, this might be the place for you.

2. The Student Union

Ahh, the Union. Perhaps the most overrated and underrated building on campus. Alpine bagel is a force to be reckoned with, and with the new Wendy’s right nearby as well, the Union is a fantastic spot to spend an afternoon. Its recent renovations over the summer only add to its serviceability.

1. Graham Memorial Hall

Graham Memorial has three things that all study areas need: a coffee shop, tons of couches and a quiet atmosphere. Upstairs, there are also several classrooms with long tables, perfect to spread out on and get some work done.

4337678354_c69f9b84c9_z.jpg