Pit Talk

Recipe of the Week: Thanksgiving Turkey Cookies

Thanksgiving is only six days away — I know I’m not the only one dreaming of home cooking and pumpkin-flavored desserts, by just looking at my Pinterest board for two seconds.

Usually I pin a bunch of recipes and forget to experiment with them later, but today I found this cute, easy recipe for Thanksgiving turkey cookies that I actually wanted to try. The recipe can be found here.

They are definitely quick and easy to make — seeing as I made mine after lunch today in Lenoir. They remind me of those adorable holiday-themed DIY activities we all loved doing in kindergarten.

I tinkered with the recipe for my own taste preferences so feel free to play around with different types of cookies or candies. For me, it was simply too hard to buy peanut butter when a jar of Nutella was in the same aisle!

Gather all the ingredients listed below and round up your friends to create a whole flock of Thanksgiving turkey cookies!

Here is what you will need:

• Oreo cookies (double-stuff works well)
• Reese’s miniature cups
• Swedish fish candy
• Whoppers Malted Milk Balls
• A jar of Nutella
• Gel tube icing (white, red and blue)

First, pull apart one of the Oreo cookies. Then, cut each Swedish fish in half widthwise and use the ends as the “feathers.”

Then, seal each “feather” onto the Oreo with Nutella. Once you have them arranged, press the two Oreo halves together. Then, cut off a sliver of the Reese’s miniature cup and use Nutella to stick it on the second Oreo, as shown in the picture.

Next, place the Oreo with the feathers behind the Reese’s cup so that the Reese’s cup is leaning against the cookie. Use Nutella to keep it in place. Then, you can dip the bottom of one Whopper in Nutella and place it on top of the peanut butter cup to make the turkey’s head.

Make sure to stick your treats in a refrigerator between steps if the Nutella is not holding up and needs to harden.

Finally, use the gel icing to add the eyes and legs and you’ll have your very own Thanksgiving turkey cookie!

Save a few for your trip home or surprise your relatives and friends with these delightful treats on Thanksgiving day. Regardless of where you bring them, people will be cooing over how cute they are and just gobble them up.