Pit Talk

Bucket List Item Number 35: Run the stairs at Kenan Stadium

UNC Bucket List is a weekly feature highlighting the 100 things students should attempt before they graduate. Check out the full bucket list and all previous Bucket List posts here.

There are many things better than a cloudy Monday morning. On second thought, nearly everything is better than a cloudy Monday morning.

Knowing the bar was set incredibly low for the day, it seemed the perfect opportunity to push it just a little bit lower. It was time to run some stadium stairs, one to be exact.

This wouldn’t be just any stadium, however, it would be Kenan Stadium. Misery definitely loves company, and so I dragged a friend along with me.

As we groggily made our way to the field level and looked up at the menacing flights of stairs before us, it was pretty clear that we might be crossing “walk the stairs at Kenan Stadium” off of our bucket lists.

A few long minutes later, we had arrived at the top. Looking down upon the empty stadium, it all hits you at once. It’s a perfect reminder of the sports, the tradition and the community of Chapel Hill.

“Never again,” was all that my friend could manage before taking a seat on the top row.

I couldn’t agree more. One stadium was just right.