Sunday June 26th

Pit Talk

UNC Bucket List #13: Get covered in paint at Holi Moli

The air was thick and filled with purples, blues, oranges and yellows as I noticed a tear run down my check. It was beautiful, but I was crying because I couldn’t see.

I had forgotten to take out my contacts and it…was too late.

But that didn’t stop the fun.

I had heard stories about it, seen pictures on Instagram and Facebook, but I never imagined I would be crazy enough to participate. Holi Moli 2013 — where hundreds of college students throw dry paint at one another and thoroughly enjoy it.

I was trapped between a girl covered in red paint and a guy dripping purple paint, and it was one of the best experiences I’ve had at UNC.

Being covered in paint at the Holi Moli celebration meant two things at the moment — I was officially a Tar Heel, and I had just crossed No. 13 off of the UNC Bucket List.

But after walking around and witnessing the smiles of my fellow classmates, the Hindu music ringing throughout the quad, and the different groups of people enjoying the celebration, I realized Holi Moli is so much more than those two things.

It reminded me why I became a Tar Heel in the first place. You didn’t have to be Hindu to participate in the celebration; you didn’t have to know the person beside you to be attacked by dry paint; all that mattered was the fact that we were all one people – we were all Tar Heels.

I look forward to Holi Moli 2014, and although I’ve already marked through No. 13 on my bucket list, I plan to get teary eyed from dry paint every year until graduation.

The Daily Tar Heel Victory Paper for March 7, 2022