Pit Talk

DIY: Dining Hall Edition

There’s nothing quite as disappointing as taking that third spin around the dining hall only to finally discover that nothing on the menu sounds appealing — especially when that means you’re left with the trusty-but-boring hamburger/pasta/salad bar combo.

However, by mixing and matching ingredients from different stations, there are many more options to explore. A little creativity goes a long way in the dining hall; try out these creations for yourself, all made from Rams Head and Top of Lenoir ingredients.

Quesadillas
One of the most under-utilized features of the dining hall: the Panini press. Use it to make your own delicious quesadillas by asking for a tortilla from the sandwich station and filling it with shredded cheese and veggies from the salad bar. If you’re feeling adventurous, cut up some grilled chicken or meat from another station and add that in too. Look around to see if Mexican fare is being served – you may be able to score some salsa or guacamole for the side. Sour cream from the baked potato bar can be used as well.

Puppy Chow
While the dining hall cookies are arguably the best food item on campus, grabbing one on the way out of every meal can leave your sweet tooth yearning for something else. Puppy chow is a yummy and easy-to-make alternative. Start off with Rice Chex from the cereal station and chocolate chips from the waffle bar. Put the two in a coffee cup along with a tablespoon of peanut butter, melt for about a minute, then stir. Check out the breakfast stations as well – if there’s French toast or pancakes that day, you can add in powdered sugar and sprinkles from their toppings bar too.

Bacon and Egg Cheeseburger
Kick breakfast-for-dinner up a notch by making an interesting hamburger. Though the burgers in Rams are usually my last resort meal, I recently saw a student enjoying this decked out creation, and I was eager to try it out myself. Grab a plate of bacon and eggs from the diner and a pile them on top of a cheeseburger. Simple, yet genius.

Bagel Pizza
While pizza is a staple every dining hall meal, it’s nice to add a little variation every once and a while. Instead of grabbing your usual slice, take a bagel from the bakery (there’s usually some left over from the morning) or pita bread from the salad bar and use it as your “dough.” Add marinara sauce from the pasta bar, or tomatoes from the salad bar for a healthier alternative, and top with shredded cheese and veggies. Microwave for 1-2 minutes and enjoy!

Peanut Butter and Banana Panini
The Panini press really is your best friend. For this sweet sandwich, start by getting your choice of bread from the sandwich line. Mix peanut butter and honey, spread them on both sides, and add a sliced banana on top. Put it in the panini press to achieve grilled perfection.

Have any other ideas for DIY dining hall creations? Post your thoughts in the comments section!