Pit Talk

UNC Bucket List #4: Get frozen yogurt at Yogurt Pump

UNC Bucket List is a weekly feature highlighting the 100 things students should attempt before they graduate. Check out the full bucket list and all previous Bucket List posts here.

Have you ever tried to go to a restaurant and sample everything? And then tell the server that you don’t want any of it? It’s not that you don’t like the food, it’s just a smart way to feed yourself and save money.

Well, I found a better way: tell the server that you are from The Daily Tar Heel and you are going to try all the flavors for your article.

This is what I was about to do today, but I failed. My DTH Bucket List mission was to get a frozen yogurt at the Yogurt Pump. Accompanied with all the chief editors of the university desk, standing awkwardly in front of the yogurt bar, I tried all the flavors one by one.

“Can I sample the chocolate and vanilla?” I forced myself to say with a big smile. “We are doing this for a Daily Tar Heel article.”

“Sorry, but can I have the oreo and birthday cake? You know, the DTH thing.” The server smiled and said I was always welcome.

The girls standing in the line behind me glared at me with suspicion.

I felt weird. “Can I have an Irish mint and strawberry sample, you know, for Daily Tar Heel?” It was like in this world, there was only me, the yogurt and the excuse of “I’m with the DTH.”

It’s weird to talk about flavors. There are eight flavors in the Yogurt Pump. The strawberry tasted like, well, strawberry. The chocolate tastes like chocolate. The vanilla was vanilla and oreo was oreo. The birthday cake, well, it tasted like one of the birthday cakes. I can’t really describe that one, there are so many birthday cake flavors, right?

However, there was something different and it was my favorite: Irish mint. It had peppermint in it — and I love peppermint.

After satisfying my hunger for frozen yogurt, I was about to leave, when one of the chief editors stopped me.

“What? You are not going to get anything? You at least need to buy a child cup!”

I didn’t really want it. The temperature was low on the street. The freezing wind blowed. I was wearing shorts and T-shirt and in my hand, there was a frozen yogurt that I couldn’t finish. I was frozen as the frozen yogurt and already had too much of them.

The feeling was awesome.

What if we change this item on the DTH Bucket List? Instead of getting a yogurt at Yogurt Pump, try all the flavors without buying one.

But remember the most important thing: tell them you are from The Daily Tar Heel!