Pit Talk

Cookies delivered right to your dorm room

As a college student, it is difficult to seriously claim that anything is better than free food. On the night of Jan. 17, I experienced the magic that is free cookies.

Insomnia Cookies, located at 145 E. Franklin St., is more than just a bakery. It offers countless types of cookies, brownies and baked goods a la mode.

There’s also this really fancy menu item called a Deluxe Cookiewich — two cookies with a huge scoop of ice cream in between.

Both fortunately and unfortunately, Insomnia delivers to just about anywhere on campus — including Carmichael dorm, my place of residence.

On said night (Jan. 17), I was enjoying a wildly social night of Netflix, and was overcome with the desire for a cookie. Naturally, I logged onto Insomnia’s website (that’s right – it is possible to order cookies from the comfort of your own bed) and was met with what might have been the greatest surprise of my life thus far.

I could get three chocolate chunk cookies for free with all online orders. I might’ve stopped breathing at that moment.

Free food is one thing, but free cookies are entirely different. I read the text several times to make sure that my debt-ridden eyes were not playing tricks on me.

To say that there were not tears of joy in my eyes when the Insomnia delivery car pulled to the front of Carmichael would be an outright lie. I grasped the takeout box in my hands and said a silent prayer of thanks.

Those three free cookies were the most beautiful and life-changing beings that I have encountered in all of my twenty years (which is saying a lot because I mean have you SEEN Beyoncé?).