Pit Talk

Why do we hate them again?

As Tar Heels, we know we are born rivals with Duke, especially when it comes down to the uproar in the basketball court. With the big UNC V.S. Duke game coming up on Wednesday, it is also a time for us to refresh our memory of this rivalry’s storied past.

Let’s start off by reliving five recent moments that highlight our rival relationship with Duke.

1. March 4, 2007-Tyler Hansbrough’s bloodied nose

On senior night at the Smith Center, Hansbrough tried to take the ball to the rim, Duke’s Gerald Henderson struck him in the face hard with the elbow when trying to level him, with his face covered with blood, there was a second when he attempted to fight the Blue Devil and was held back by his teammates. It is a scene not to be forgotten for both Tar Heel and Duke fans.

2. March 6, 2005-The Rebound

UNC came into the game having lost four in a row to the Blue Devils and had a chance to win the ACC regular season title outright. Duke led us by nine points when three minutes were left in the game, and the team launched a major comeback and won by Marvin Williams ‘s rebound from a missed free throw. J.J. Redick, who had 17 first half points, went cold in the second half including a missed 3-point shot in the closing seconds. Students stormed the court.

3. The hate for Coach K

Our disdain to Duke’s former Coach Mike Krzyzewski seems to stand firm even in face of patriotism. He led the National Men’s Basketball Team in winning two gold medals in the 2008 and 2012 Summer Olympics, yet what he got from our message board was, “Pull for Iran before I’d ever back a team coached by old ratface?” Well, people say we are traitors, but no, we are just Carolina Fans!

4. The Most Watched Game Ever

On March 4, 2006, We beat Duke at their place (Cameron Indoor Stadium) for the first time in five years 83-76, The game was broadcast on ESPN which made it the most-watched college basketball game of all time. The Duke-UNC rivalry is basically world renown.

5. Rivals united

Yet, despite all these, there is a time when we put aside the differences and hold hands for the same cause. In a 2008 game in Durham, both teams took a moment of silence for Eve Carson, the student body president who was murdered earlier that week. Carolina blue ribbons were worn by all to commemorate the incident.

——

And beyond the court, differences between the schools adds fuel to the fire.

“I just think that our campus is not only more diverse, every time when you hear people saying about Duke, they always said the campus is so cold, and UNC is not like that at all, it is such a happy, welcoming, exciting environment,” said Meg Garner, a journalism major.

Indeed, there is always something more. UNC alumnus Will Blythe argued that it was the class and culture in the South that has driven this vibe in his book “To Hate like this is to Be Happy Forever” and that it is “the elites against the populists,” ” the good against the Evil.”

“I think we have a better community sense, Carolina does more for the community around it, we care about things outside the campus,” said Jesse Hopkins, a senior Chinese major.

What’s your favorite moment in the rivalry, or why do you hate Dook? Share your thoughts in the comments section!