Pit Talk

Who do UNC students want to see come for a spring concert?

The Carolina Union Activities Board is planning this year's spring concert. Staff writer Luman Ouyang asked students on campus: "Who is your dream performer for the spring concert if you could choose anyone in the world?" 

Lindsey Walker

Year: Junior

Major: Radiologic Science

Hometown: Waxhaw

Walker wanted to invite Cirque de Soleil because everybody will enjoy their performance. 

“They have a lot of different acts. They are widely known,” she said. 

Walker also liked that the Circus combines different types of dances so that they can appeal to different groups. 

“I just like that they don’t have a specific type of dance, they just incorporate so many aspects into… I don’t know… gymnastics and then classical dances… and everybody likes it," Walker said.  "It is not just one specific type of dance that one group of people will like.”

Brittany Allen

Year: Freshman

Major: Sports and Administration and Pre-Business

Hometown: Greenville 

Allen wants to go to a summer concert by Sam Hunt, so that it would be great if the singer can just come for the spring concert. 

“He's a country music singer. He’s on a tour all over the United States now," Allen said. "I hopefully will get to go to his concert over this summer. I really like his songs, he just came out with a new one that I am obsessed with."

Allen’s favorite song from Hunt is “Leave the Night On.”

“Basically that’s his most popular song right now. He’s kind of new," Allen said. 

Amanda Roth

Year: Junior

Major: Biology

Roth listens to Lana Del Rey all the time and eagerly awaits her new album. 

“I want to say Lana Del Rey (as my choice for the spring concert). I listen to her music all the time," Roth said. 

If possible, Roth would like Del Rey to perform her hit “Summertime Sadness.”

“Everyone knows it," she said. "I think she’s just coming out with a new album as well."

Caroline Macklin

Year: Sophomore

Major: Environmental Science 

Macklin thinks Cirque du Soleil is cool.

“I guess they have the cool rope band things that hang from the ceilings, and people do acrobatics, I think that would be cool.”

Macklin liked that the performance was enriched by its story and weirdness.

“I think that overall it’s just interesting that there’s a story that goes along with their choreography, even though it seems abstract and weird,” she said. 

Although Macklin had been to one of their performances, she wanted to watch different groups.

“They have multiple different groups, so there are multiple different shows, but I’ve only been to one of them,” said Macklin.

Danny Hage

Year: Freshman

Major: Environmental Science

Hometown: Greensboro

Hage said he would invite Shakira because he finds her very enjoyable — to look at.

“I am going to be totally honest, I would invite Shakira because she moves her hips," Hage said.  

Hage said that his favorite song from her is a Spanish song. 

“It’s called "Ojos Así," I can tell you.”

Myra Triplett

Year: Sophomore

Major: Communication Studies

Hometown: Lenoir

It was hard for Triplett to decide who she wanted to invite, but finally her answer was Jimmy Fallon. 

“Can I say Jimmy Fallon? He came here one time with Obama, so there’s a possibility that he would come back," Triplett said. "That would be a cool thing.”

Triplett said she wanted to invite Fallon because he was hilarious. 

“He’s really cool with our age group. Even though he’s older, he really focuses and cares about what we have to say.”

Lynslei Harris 

Year: Senior

Major: Communication Studies

Hometown: Wilmington, Delaware

Harris wants to invite Lauryn Hill, who Harris grew up listening to and has always wanted to see live. 

“Her album has been out for almost 20 years now. She hasn’t done tours in like God knows how long, so it would be nice to see her tour for once.”

Harris said she has never been able to see Lauryn Hill on tour.

“I was too young when she was on tour before; now I am old enough, and she’s not on tour.”