Pit Talk

Four fried foods you need to try at this year’s State Fair

The N.C. State Fair is back in town and that means it’s that time of year again where you can try the most bizarre and artery-clogging food that actually become southern delicacies. Their new food for this year holds to the same standard.

We’ve all heard about the classic Krispy Kreme Burger and Deep Fried Oreos, but even though both taste delicious limiting yourself to just those options should be considered a sin. Instead, here are five new items that you should try instead for a bit more flavor.

1. Jalapeno Pimento Cheese and Bacon Hush Puppies

Two vendors decided to throw pimento cheese into the deep fryer, and as a pimento cheese addict I was sure to try everything. Skip the pimento cheese wontons and grab these hush puppies instead from Ragin’ Cajun.

These little bites were surprisingly sweet for what they had in them but were very flavorful. For the full experience, be sure to top them off with the Sriracha Bang Bang sauce to add a little kick.

2. Bacon Cheeseburger with Mac and Cheese

The same people who came up with the Krispy Kreme burger decided to add some new selections to their menu this year. My favorite was the bacon cheeseburger with mac and cheese, as opposed to their flamin’ hot burger and their garbage burger.

If you’re looking for dinner this was a great deal, since it was much more filling than just a side dish and was pretty cheap compared to other sandwiches running for as much as $12 around the fair.

3. Fry Me Over the Moon

For the budget-minded fair attendee, this is the place to go to get your fix on fried sweet treats. Murphy House offers all of these deep fried as a part of this combo: a moon pie, a hostess cupcake, three Oreos and two Reese's Cups.

This $8 combo is a steal considering normally fried Oreos cost about one dollar per cookie, so go into this with a friend to get a great sampling of classic state fair sweet treats.

4. Deep Fried S'mores

However, if you’re looking for a less mainstream sweet treat, deep fried s'mores were one of the other highlights of the fair this year. With a great mix of crunchy and creamy, this gave the deep fried Oreos a run for their money.

It’s not completely necessary to get this along with some of the other sweets in my opinion, but if you want to try something a little more unique than the normal offering, this is definitely the way to go.