Pit Talk

Going home: Expectation vs. Reality

Everyone knows that going home is the perfect time to get ahead on homework, eat delicious home-cooked meals, sleep and come back to campus refreshed and ready to tackle another week. It’s also a great time to relive the glory days with all the old high school friends you are just sure will stay in your life forever. If your time at home is ever a little different than all that, though… me too. Here’s what really went down the last time I was home.

Expectation: Getting lots of sleep

Reality: Getting even less sleep than at school

A lot of factors conspired to ruin my perfect bedtime record. For one, I discovered that my family got Netflix. Is there even a question whether Gilmore Girls is more important than sleep? The answer is no. Once I finally convinced myself that Lorelai’s love life would be unchanged in the morning, there was still the issue of my rock-hard bed. Since when did my bed at school become more comfy than my bed at home? Looks like my parents are conspiring to keep me from moving back in.

Expectation: Eating all the home-cooked goodness

Reality: Eating all the home-cooked goodness

Some things never change. Homemade mac and cheese, apple pie and pizza sustained me through the weekend. And yes, the pizza was homemade. Let’s also just take a moment to acknowledge the fact that my mom grinds wheat for said pizza in our house. Okay, glad that’s out there now.

Expectation: Getting lots of homework done

Reality: Not

Every time I go home, I delude myself into thinking that this time will be different. I like to imagine myself arriving back on campus with all my work done, laughing at the poor souls who frittered away their weekend. It turns out, however, that frittering is way more fun than studying. With every passing hour sans homework, I reminded myself how much more prepared I would be to dive into work on Monday if I just gave myself some real time off. False. This week will be horrific. All least we’re #allinthistogether, right? Good luck friends.

@meggiecruser