Pit Talk

To the people who are forced to live with me: An ode to the suitemate bond

To my lovely suitemates:

Three months ago, the level of knowledge we had about one another was directly proportional to the level of skill we had in social media stalking.

Since then, we have created a powerful bond through our blood, sweat and tears. Mostly tears... and sweat.

One of the hidden perks of college is the ability to have a slumber party with your pals every single day. 

Through angrily eating snacks late into the night, yelling insults about boys who do dumb boyish things, giving one another haircuts and attempting to keep our bathroom relatively clean, I have come to be so thankful for the wonderful girls who were forced to live within a 15-foot radius of me.

How cool is it that we have gone from being strangers to being able to have a conversation while one of us is in the shower and another is on the toilet? That’s all I have ever wanted from a group of friends.

Instead of existing as individual small fish in this large Carolina Blue pond, we have become a dysfunctional school of fish, working together to figure this place out. And yes, I expect you all to make fun of me tonight for calling us a “dysfunctional school of fish.”

I will admit that I was a tiny bit afraid of you guys as I stalked your Instagram feeds over the summer. What if you hated me for the excessive number of showers that I take? What if you decided I was a weirdo because I had a One Direction-themed calendar? What if you thought I was a loser because I sent you reminders to get your flu shots?

I was so fortunate to discover that you all are accepting, generous and compassionate people.

My favorite part of college has been returning back to our suite after a long day of classes and meetings and tripping over bricks. I can throw my backpack down, check to make sure that I did not break my laptop in doing so, and then knock on one of your doors for a loud, excited discussion about all of the events that have taken place in the past 24 hours.

And so I want to say thank you. Thank you for forcing me to take the stairs because you know it will benefit me in the long run. Thank you for sharing your snacks, cleaning supplies and hugs. Thank you for being unafraid of my ugly cry. Thank you for making me laugh until I feel the abs that I forgot that I had start to hurt.

Happy three month suite-iversary, buds.