Pit Talk

Easy Spring Break vacations for UNC students to plan

Currently, I’m looking outside at the days-old, half-melted snow on the ground and thinking about how ready I am for springtime.

We’ve had several days off of school due to the weather (shout out to Mother Nature — you’re doing great), and while getting frostbitten appendages every time I step out my front door is getting a little old, I can’t help but recall that our next vacation won’t be until Spring Break almost two months from now. 

And suddenly, not being able to feel any of my freezing, bone-chilled limbs doesn’t seem too bad if it means I don't have to trudge to class.

However, just because I’m frozen presently doesn’t mean I can’t look forward to sunny, warm weather in the future. Since the thought of Spring Break 2k16 is the only thing keeping my cold heart alive right now, I’ve already invested time in some vacation planning and have come up with some options that any college student looking to vacation on a budget should be able to execute easily and enjoy fully.

(Source: National Geographic)

Charleston, S.C.

When I think about Spring Break, I think about colorful streets, going shopping, hanging out on the beach, and living as carefree an existence as I can before I face my impending adulthood. What better place to do this than in Charleston? Only a four hour drive from Chapel Hill, this is a classic Spring Break location and a city that caters specifically to vacationers. There is an abundance of affordable hotels in the area, hundreds of relaxing things to visit like garden strolls, boat tours, and markets, and plenty of beaches on which to lay out and let your mind wander at ease.

(Source: Mathieu Dupuis on 500px)

New Orleans, L.A. 

If you're looking to vacation in one of the most lively cities on Earth, NOLA is the place to head. No matter where you go, the streets are filled with life — musicians and dancers are on every corner, street performers can be found left and right, and artists and fortune tellers are at work on every street you visit. The shopping is excellent, the nightlife is thrilling, and attractions like the Audubon Zoo and Aquarium will keep you busy all week long. However, before visiting, you may want to invest in some pants that are at least a size larger than your usual — if you visit this city, you are almost guaranteed to gain five pounds from all the amazing food you'll eat (at least three of which will certainly come from eating beignets at Café Du Monde in the famous French Quarter).

(Source: The Vivant)

Blue Ridge Mountains, Asheville, N.C. 

If you’re looking for a little bit of peace and quiet this Spring Break, taking a visit to the Blue Ridge Mountains is the perfect way to connect with nature and leave the stressful and busy nature of college life behind for a few days. There are a wide range of campsites available for rent which can accommodate for both small and large group camping trips, making this a great trip to take with a circle of good friends. While there are dining and shopping options available in the area, the best part of a trip like this may be to simply take time to sit back, admire the lakes, trees, and skies, light a bonfire, and appreciate the natural world.

(Source: Thrillist)

Nashville, T.N. 

Music lovers — this is your prime Spring Break spot. Whether you’re an enthusiastic listener or an artist yourself, Nashville is a perfect vacation if you’re looking for live music of all different genres. If you’re willing to drive just a little more, several areas in Tennessee can provide additional fun during your visit. Dollywood, the Dolly Parton-centric theme park, can be found just three hours outside of Tennessee's capital city; also a three hour drive from Nashville is Memphis, T.N., home to both excellent jazz music venues as well as to Graceland (a fantastic option since we now know that some Chapel Hill residents are crazy about Elvis Presley).

(Source: Popular Photography)

Washington, D.C. 

The nerd within me craves a visit to our nation’s capital. Just over a four hour drive from Chapel Hill, Washington, D.C. is an excellent option for a cultural and educational trip. The White House, the Lincoln Memorial, the Smithsonian, the Washington Monument, the US Botanical Gardens — the options are all both intellectual and beautiful. Even better, D.C. is absolutely breathtaking in the spring when the cherry blossom trees littered throughout the city are in full bloom, giving you a combination of urban and natural attractions to visit and appreciate.

(Source: Beautiful Nature on Bloglovin’)

New York City, N.Y. 

A trip to New York City may sometimes be a reach financially, but it is definitely doable. Being the center of the modern universe, there is no shortage of things to do in the Big Apple, so planning a week of fun is no object. The most difficult barriers for most people are (a) finding a way to get there and (b) finding a place to stay. In terms of transportation, if a plane ticket is pushing it, the best ways to get to New York are either by train or by a bus system like Megabus or Chinatown Bus, all of which are much less expensive and viable options. Instead of renting a hotel, Airbnb — a service through which locals rent out their apartments to tourists — is an awesome and affordable option. If you can make it to the city, you are almost guaranteed a week of great views, great culture, and great times.