Pit Talk

UNC Bucket List #35: Run the stairs at Kenan Stadium

I am generally a believer in working out organically: sans manufactured electrolytes, fancy equipment, expensive watches, etc. All you need for a good day of cardio is a pair of shorts and a t-shirt.

As I left my dorm room and began my warm-up jog towards Kenan Stadium, I began to question my philosophy. Choosing to go for a jog at sunset on a frigid January afternoon may not have been the best judgment call. Yet, I might argue, Bucket Lists do not generally welcome good judgement.

My initial plan was to complete a full lap of stairs around the stadium. However, because I arrived at Kenan mid-sunset, half of the bleachers were in the shade and half were soaking in their last few minutes of sunlight. 

As I began my task, I realized that I had underestimated the power of the dark side (ha, Star Wars joke). The temperature difference between the shaded bleachers and the lighted bleachers was at least ten degrees. 

Olaf could have danced around the shaded bleachers and then walked over a few steps to meet his tragic end in the sun (ha, Frozen joke).

Thus, I decided to zig-zag back and forth on the sunny side of the stadium. 

From there, I enjoyed my workout and the slow encroachment of the large dark shadow, encouraging me to finish up as quickly as I could. 

The historic cement steps and the beautifully manicured field in front of me were the best workout buddies a girl could ask for.  

Running up and down the stairs of our magical stadium seems to be good for the body, soul and mind. Well, maybe not the mind--the letters painted onto the steps became blurrier as my legs became heavier.

Working out in Kenan gives you an excuse to get dessert with your dinner as well as providing you with your daily dose of Tar Heel pride. Definitely make sure to check this one off of the bucket list.