Pit Talk

10 things better than Valentine's Day in February

Whether you’re without a bae or in a flirtationship, everyone knows being single in February can be a miserable experience thanks to Valentine’s Day. Having a romantic interest on Feb. 14 is not that important in the grand scheme of things so here’s ten other things to focus on and look forward to this February!

1. Girl Scout Cookies

All month — The delicious cookies should be available for the rest of the month! Join in the war of which cookie is best. You can even order online now!

2. New to Netflix

Feb. 1 — Every month our lover, Netflix, says “It’s time to spice things up” and removes old content and adds new pieces. Some of the best being added this February include Charlie’s AngelsScooby-DooScooby-Doo Two and an outlier that has many of us curious: The Year Dolly Parton Was My Mom

3. Groundhog Day

Feb. 2 -— Who knew that America’s most reliable and trusted meteorologist was a groundhog? Wake up early in the morning to be one of the first to know if we’ll be having an early spring or six more weeks of winter.

4. Smoothie King is Opening

First week of the month — We can finally get a healthy and delicious snack on Franklin Street that won’t make us walk a mile to get there. According to the company’s Facebook page they will be opening this week!

5. Superbowl Sunday

Feb. 7 — The Carolina Panthers take on the Denver Broncos in the biggest sporting event of the year. Get together with friends and make it an occasion!

6. Mardi Gras

Feb. 9 — Making it down to good ol’ New Orleans for the big event might not be feasible with you class schedule but Zog’s 6th Annual Mardi Gras Party will have you thinking you’re in the French Quarter.

7. SBP Elections

Feb. 10 — It’s that time of the year again! Actually go out and meet the candidates and decide who will make the greatest difference on our campus. Plus, we’ll be publishing satire articles about it because laughter is good for the soul. 

8. UNC-Duke Basketball Game

Feb. 17 — Enter the lottery for the chance to win a ticket and if you don’t win then you can watch your favorite team take on the world’s most hated team on ESPN.

9. Hurricanes Hockey Game: College Night

Feb. 23 — Upper level seating is $10 and lower-level is $25 for college students! Just show your student ID, hand over a little cash and watch the Hurricanes take on the Philadelphia Flyers.

10. Oscars

Feb. 28 — This will be the award show you you don’t want to miss. The event is sure to be controversial (#OscarsSoWhite) and fun social media accounts are going to have a field day.